Free Consultations

What can you do if you’re falsely accused of rape?

On Behalf of | Sep 13, 2022 | Sex Crimes |

The mere accusation of rape can leave a lasting stain on your life and character. No matter your accuser’s motivation, the fact remains that you will be on trial for a crime you know nothing about. And if convicted, the penalties can be far-reaching. 

If you are falsely accused of rape, it is in your best interest that you take appropriate steps to defend yourself and safeguard your rights. However, to come up with a robust defense, you need to start by understanding why the other party accused you of rape in the first place. 

Common reasons why you might be falsely accused of rape

Understandably, rape is one of the last crimes you would want to be accused of committing. Unfortunately, however, someone might accuse you of rape for a variety of reasons. Here are two of them:

  • Mistaken identity: This happens when the victim is confused and thus mistakenly identifies you as the perpetrator.
  • Malice: Sometimes, your accuser may falsely accuse you of rape for revenge or achieve malicious ends such as gaining an upper hand during a custody battle.

Like in any criminal matter, what you do or fail to do, following a false rape accusation can impact the outcome of your case. Here are two things you need to do immediately after you learn about the rape accusation against you:

  • It is crucial that you fully understand what you are up against. Learning everything you can about the allegations can help you better understand the potential defenses.
  • Get off social media. When you become the subject of a criminal investigation, it is easy to become your own worst enemy. Simple missteps like reaching out to your accuser or talking about the matter on social media can come back to hurt your defense. 

If you are falsely accused of rape, it is in your best interest that you explore your defense options so you can effectively defend yourself. 


FindLaw Network

Get Legal Help Today

Call us at 719-377-4024 for a free consultation.