In Colorado Springs, assault charges carry hefty fines and the possibility of prison time. Don’t let an assault charge destroy your life – contact our knowledgeable assault attorneys at The Foley Law Firm today!
Criminal Assault Lawyers in Colorado Springs, CO
If you’ve been accused of committing assault, you may feel anxious about the future and unsure where you should turn for help. If convicted, you could face thousands of dollars in fines and potentially years of prison time. That’s why you need an experienced assault attorney working on your case right away.
Degrees of Assault in Colorado Springs
Colorado defines assault as unlawfully causing injury to another person. Battery, which is also called menacing in Colorado, is a bit different. The state defines battery as using threats or actions to place a person in fear of serious bodily injury.
What Colorado calls “assault” is what many other states define as “battery,” and Colorado’s menacing charge is typically called “assault” elsewhere. Assault degrees in Colorado are as follows:
- First-degree: Intentionally using a deadly weapon to seriously injure someone
- Second-degree: Intentionally causing serious injury with no deadly weapon
- Third-degree: Knowingly or recklessly causing bodily injury
Colorado battery/menacing degrees include:
- Class One Misdemeanor: Menacing with no deadly weapon involved
- Class Five Felony: Menacing with a deadly weapon or stating that you have a deadly weapon
If you need help understanding Colorado assault laws further, schedule a free consultation with our criminal assault lawyers at The Foley Law Firm by calling (719) 757-1182 today.
Penalties for Assault or Menacing Convictions in Colorado
Penalties for a Colorado assault or menacing conviction vary depending on the crime’s severity. The biggest factor courts take into account when determining the appropriate punishment is whether you used or threatened to use a deadly weapon. Penalties for assault include:
- First-degree: Up to $750,000 in fines and/or up to 32 years in prison
- Second-degree: Up to $500,000 in fines and/or up to 12 years in prison
- Third-degree: Up to six months in prison
Menacing penalties are slightly less severe. They include:
- Class One Misdemeanor: Up to $1,000 in fines and/or up to 364 days in prison
- Class Five Felony: $1,000 to $100,000 in fines and/or one to three years in prison
Common Scenarios and Possible Defenses for Assault Charges in Colorado Springs
Assault can happen at any time, even if you never planned to hurt anyone. You may wonder whether it’s possible to defend against the assault charges brought against you. Fortunately, with the right assault law firm on your side, you have a better chance of building a strong defense.
Potential defenses for assault in Colorado include:
- Lack of intent to cause harm
- Duress (someone else forced you to assault another person)
- Choice of evils/justification (assault was necessary to avoid public or private injury)
- Execution of public duty (police authorized your use of force)
When you’re facing assault charges, you need an assault lawyer who’s equipped to mount a strong defense on your behalf. Contact our criminal assault lawyers at The Foley Law Firm to find out how we can help you.
When Charged with Assault or Menacing in Colorado, it is Important to Act Promptly and Hire a Knowledgeable Criminal Assault Lawyer
If you’ve been accused of assault or menacing in Colorado, time is of the essence. You simply can’t afford to wait and hope for a lighter sentence. A conviction could mean years in prison or fines reaching hundreds of thousands of dollars, not to mention the possibility of losing your job, home, and everything else you’ve worked so hard for.
Don’t risk your future — reach out to our criminal defense lawyers at The Foley Law Firm right away.
Work Closely with the Experienced Assault Lawyers at The Foley Law Firm to Establish Your Defense in Colorado Springs, CO
If you’re facing an assault or menacing charge, you’re probably feeling lost, scared, and confused. You need to know there’s a light at the end of the tunnel, even if things look dark right now. But more than that, you need someone you can trust, someone you can rely on when the odds are stacked against you.
Our assault charge attorneys know how to build a solid defense against all types of assault and menacing charges in Colorado Springs. Give us a call at (719) 757-1182 for a free consultation regarding your case today.
Why Choose The Foley Law Firm?
We can put your life back together. Unlike other law firms, we remain accessible to answer your questions and help you navigate important decisions from the moment you contact us until your case is resolved.
- Founded by David W. Foley, who, as a former prosecutor, designed the training program for the prosecutors at the 4th Judicial District Attorney’s Office
- Community-minded legal advocacy in Colorado Springs and the Pikes Peak area
- Consistent communication to coordinate your defense strategy
- Personalized, committed service and respectful, neighborly treatment
- Experienced guidance and strategic direction — bringing you peace of mind
- Free consultations for criminal defense cases
We’re One of You; We’re Here To Help
Our Latest Blogs
An Experienced Colorado Springs School Bus Accident Lawyer Explains Your Rights if Your Child is Injured in a School Bus Accident
As summer draws to a close and children across Colorado excitedly don their backpacks to…
Understanding the Difference Between Petty and Felony Theft Charges in Colorado
Have you been accused of theft in Colorado involving an item of low value or…
An Experienced Motorcycle Accident Attorney Shares 5 Common Causes of Motorcycle Accidents in Colorado Springs
Riding a motorcycle along the scenic routes of Colorado is an unmatched experience, with the…
The Foley Law Firm
222 East Costilla Street Colorado Springs, CO 80903